Monday, July 9, 2012

Short-Straw Bride by Karen Witemeyer

Hi! Maggie here. I am using this review system to base my rating on. I'm a fan of Karen Witemeyer so I thought I would share my thoughts on her recent release.


Synopsis from Amazon: No one steps on Archer land. Not if they value their life. But when Meredith Hayes overhears a lethal plot to burn the Archer brothers off their ranch, a twelve-year-old debt compels her to take the risk.

Fourteen years of constant vigilance hardens a man. Yet when Travis Archer confronts a female trespasser with the same vivid blue eyes as the courageous young girl he once aided, he can't bring himself to send her away. And when an act of sacrifice leaves her injured and her reputation in shreds, gratitude and guilt send him riding to her rescue once again.

Compelling: 10 out 10. I finished this book in one sitting. There wasn’t a dull moment. I enjoyed every minute spent learning about the Archer brothers and seeing the love between Travis and Meredith progress. There wasn’t a scene that dragged or a moment that didn’t fit.

Characters: 9 out 10. I adored all the Archers and Meredith too. Juggling five characters in a room at once is hard work but I applaud Karen Witemeyer. Each brother had a distinctive personality and I loved how they all interacted. I only knock it down to 9 because I could have done without Cassie. She was your typical beautiful girl whose smile charmed the socks off of anyone (even though I did appreciate her relationship with Meredith). If these characters make an appearance in the next book Witemeyer writes, I really hope it isn’t Cassie but Crockett Archer. Next to Travis, he was my favorite. I really want a story on him.

Writing/Editing: 9 out of 10. MINI SPOILER ALERT.  I’m not even sure if this is worth knocking a point off but at the very end of the book... Travis has been hurt but either his excitement over the marriage bed overpowers any pain or the wound was forgotten about. I kept waiting for Meredith to tend to his wound but she never did. Despite that, I enjoy Witemeyer’s ability to weave a story. She definitely entertained me.

Plausibility/Believability: 3 out of 5. SPOILER ALERT. I only knock a few points down because I would think Meredith’s uncle would have pushed the issue of her marrying this evil crook for his money over forcing his beloved daughter on the evil crook. The uncle supposedly doesn’t believe all that is said about the evil man at first but I didn’t completely buy that as a valid excuse. However, I enjoyed the other aspects of the story so much I didn’t really care. And really, it probably wouldn’t distract anyone else.

Positive: 5 out of 5. Good conquers evil in the end and true love wins. I’d say it was pretty positive.

Gut reaction: 5 out of 5. This was definitely my kind of book. Full of wonderful dialog and just enough internal thoughts, I couldn’t put the book down.

Recommended for: Anyone who loves historical romance. Probably not for those who dislike the historical romance genre. If you’ve read and loved Witemeyer’s other books, you’ll more than likely love this one too.

My rating: * * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have a question for us? Post in the comments or email kinyn@kinynchronicles.com!